Element Energy is a dynamic early-stage company that is looking to reimagine battery management. Our breakthrough algorithms and our patented control system solves critical battery safety and performance issues in the multi-billion dollar large-scale grid storage and electric vehicle battery markets. Our goal is to reduce the high degradation rates that plague renewable energy and battery storage products, and more importantly, we help mitigate the pervasive problems of battery fires that threaten user safety and property damage. These solutions are essential for the widespread adoption of clean renewable energy and “the electrification of everything” movement that is changing the world’s renewable energy storage infrastructure.
Element Energy is seeking a Battery Engineer to join our engineering team. You will be responsible for the advanced battery experiment design, protocol writing, data collection, processing, and review. You will work with batteries with varying chemistry, form factor and cycling conditions. We are looking for an engaged and responsible engineer who can help drive our battery research and algorithm development.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field of study + 3 years of experience in the job offered or closely related occupation
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field of study + 1 years of experience in the job offered or closely related occupation
- Collaborating with our multidisciplinary battery team to establish various hypotheses on battery degradation and aging patterns
- Develop optimized test procedures to test established hypotheses
- Lead cell characterization and performance tests, developing aging models and collecting high-precision data with various test cycling equipment
- Analyze raw and processed data and prepare reports on findings
- Generate important reports for day-to-day lab activities
- Set up testing facility with required equipment, including cyclers, ovens, fume hoods, safety systems
- Conduct cell post-mortem analysis to establish root cause for various cell failures
- Troubleshooting equipment and sample issues, maintaining, and solving test equipment problems as needed
- Deep understanding of lithium-ion battery electrochemistry and materials
- Experience setting up and running cell cyclers, such as Maccor, Bio-logic, Chroma, etc.
- Excellent track record of successfully conducting tests and summarizing data
- Familiarity with data acquisition instruments and ability to modify acquisition parameters in instrumentation control software
- Willingness to proactively drive tests, collect data, and generate reports working in fast-paced team
- Ability to justify technical decisions and provide context for any encountered technical issues
- Battery/cell teardown and failure analysis experience
- High punctuality with strong interpersonal skills and a high level of attention to details
- Proven ability to work independently under high pressure and with time-sensitive matters
- Experience with Python
- Familiarity with hands-on mechanical engineering work to prepare set-up required for testing
Element Energy is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.